<cctalk@classiccmp.org>
> [...]
is really
> happening at that pin.  It might be useful to try triggering the scope
from
> whatever clock is used locally as the signal might be synchronised to
that.
> Once you can see the trace properly, it should be easier to figure out
where it
> is coming from.
>

> > I have checked the other pins on both the buffer and the gate array
> > and I don't see anything suspicious.
> >

> It may be worth looking very closely at the power supply pins for
difficult to see
> spikes that might be caused by decoupling failures.
> It would also be good to make sure ground is really ground at the chips in
> question.
>

> > I am thinking of speculatively replacing the 74LS126 because I can go
> > and buy replacement parts for it, I can't replace the gate array
> > (although I could conceivably swap the part on the two boards).
> >

> If the 74LS126 has some fault at it's input which is affecting the signal
coming
> from the gate array, it seems to me that it would be more likely to load
it down
> or up rather than cause it to change rapidly (if that is in fact what it
is doing),
> unless it has somehow managed to turn itself into an oscillator.
>
> On the other hand, if the gate array output is open collector, it could be
relying
> on the 74LS126 to provide a collector load and not getting it if the
74LS126 is
> faulty.  This seems unlikely though.
>
> I suppose another possibility is that the gate array output could be
tristate and
> not enabled leading to noise pickup from nearby traces and components and
> perhaps across the PCB surface, given there was a battery leak at some
point.

> Getting back to the oscillator theory, I wonder if it is possible that the
non-
> inverting buffer could be oscillating at a much higher frequency than
normally
> found on the board due to feedback from it's output to it's input as
result of the
> battery leakage?
>
> I don't normally like suggesting cutting tracks but if the board already
has
> damaged and repaired tracks, you might feel ok about cutting the track
> between the gate array and the 74LS126 to determine which of them (or both
> together) is responsible for the unusual signal there.
>
> I would be very wary of replacing the unobtainable gate array with your
only
> replacement until all other possiblities are eliminated in case the gate
array
> was damaged by a fault elsewhere.
>
> Looks like I've provided more questions than answers :-(

Some great ideas Peter, thanks! I will double check the scope, I wonder if
mine doesn't have the bandwidth to show a glitch that is occurring? I will
consider cutting the track, which is also a great idea. I really do have to
hope that it isn't the gate array, it is my last resort, although that was
closer to the leakage damage than the 74LS126.

Regards

Rob