I must admit, by all appearances I've fallen for a false etymology.. at
least so far as having origins in WWII slang. Depending on how you view it,
the origin of 'jerry-rigged' is either much older +or+ slightly newer..

Here's an interesting and somewhat detailed discussion:
https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/132868/jury-rigged-or-jerry-rigged/132919

As for the PSU, that drifting gain voltage seems to be a major clue. Where
does this voltage track in the known-good unit? Have you also verified that
all of the precision voltage references / zeners / etc. are themselves
stable and not drifting?

Is the voltage generated by the controller chip, or supplied to the chip
from an external reference?