> On 20 Aug 2017, at 23:20, Chuck Guzis via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
> wrote:
>
> On 08/20/2017 12:12 PM, Brent Hilpert via cctalk wrote:
>
>> If the transformer were faulty and heating up internally, it would seem
>> unlikely that it would cool off that quickly to recover, IME it takes some
>> time for a transformer to cool off.
>
> I have an open-frame linear PSU that started behaving that way.  Turned
> out to be a current-sense resistor with a bad internal connection.  As
> things warmed up, the resistance would rise until the current overload
> IC kicked it and shut things down.   It was pretty frustrating because
> the entire time, the output looked pretty stable.

Chuck wins some 16-bit air, or I suppose technically 16/32 bit air. I changed
the reference resistors to the NE5561N and the PSU is now stable, no picture
drift on the monitor and the 5V rail doesn’t move from 5.4V. If I could send an
e-beer I would :)

http://www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk/atariSTPSUfixed.jpg

(dodgy disk in the A drive there, it’s currently running Bubble Bobble)

—
Adrian/Witchy
Binary Dinosaurs - Celebrating Computing History from 1972 onwards