> You have some of your reasoning reversed regarding comparator behaviour.
> Comparators are typically: +in > -in --> output transistor off --> output
TRUE /
> HIGH with pull-up R.

I have double-checked the datasheet
(http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm339.pdf). It says "The output NPN sinks
current when the positive input voltage is higher than the negative input
voltage and the offset voltage". My interpretation is therefore the opposite
of what you say above. Is it possible that different versions of the LM339
work differently?

Regards

Rob

> The 176 outputs are connected to the  comparator -inputs. The two 0V -ins
are
> thus below the +ins at 0.36V and their output transistor will thus be off
/ not
> conducting to GND.
>
> Of course that doesn't solve the problem, the 3rd, oscillating, -in should
be
> toggling its output transistor and the overall output should be toggling
rather
> than steady +5.
> Is power good at the 339 supply pins (including gnd)?
> Is  the oscillating 176 output high long enough (pulse width when high)
for the