Thanks for pointing that out. I have to say that it seemed logically strange
but I thought these datasheets were all pretty accurate, that one is a
pretty big mistake, although as you point out it is correct elsewhere.

The peaks of the G176 output are about 300ns long. I can't tell from the
datasheet if that is long enough, but that may be because I don't understand
datasheets all that well. What I can see is that it can take up to 1.3us to
respond, but that isn't quite the same thing (I think).

I have added an addendum to my post now which explains what the G176 on the
other board does. This is what I added:

"For comparison, on the original board, where I get a corrupted video
display, the G176 outputs rather different signals, with a signal on pins 1,
2 and 3, the signals seem to vary in amplitude from 1V to 2V. I can't see
the length of the peaks though because the signal is too irregular, unlike
on the board in question. The difference in behaviour could be either cause
or effect, because, I assume, the BIOS is telling the G176 what to do and
that may depend on whether it has sensed anything at all. Or it could
just be a faulty G176."

Regards

Rob