On 09/08/2017 11:51 AM, John Foust via cctalk wrote:

> When attemping to read an old Amiga floppy, the magnetic media
> separated from the metal hub.  Were these originally glued?
>
> Assuming I can find a way to re-affix the media to the hub, how many
> guesses as to the proper alignment might I need to make?  After all,
> the metal hub has an index slot and the media was formatted in
> relation to that.
>
> Is the answer different for a PC floppy?

Yes, they were glued.  Sometimes you can look carefully at the hub and
the cookie and match up remaining glue deposits.   In the case of a
simple PC-type read, the position of the index doesn't really matter for
reading--as long as the sector headers are correct, you're fine.

This is particularly true if you use a whole-track reader than can read
tracks without regard to index.

I don't know about Amiga, however.

--Chuck