> I remember at least one manufacturer >recommending it for their > drive(s) if they were ever tilted through 90 degrees - >presumably > there were tiny effects on the head positioning and so not >doing a > LLF would result in problems.

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017, Ali via cctalk wrote:
This was pretty common wisdom back in the day. Not quote sure how wise it was but it was generally recommended in the magazines of the time. I remember reading an article about it in PC Magazine.

There were some interesting discussions of that when companies, such as Compaq, first started to put hard drives in portables!