On Sat, Sep 30, 2017 at 6:32 AM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk
<cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Still a few too many read errors for my taste, so this weekend is going
> to be a session with a 'scope and alignment tape.   I think I've got a
> way to adjust skew--just hook a logic analyzer probe to each channel and
> set the LA to trigger on state changes.   The HP box I'm using is good
> to about 25 nsec.

One of my tape drives has a set of equal-value resistors connected to
each of the read channels, the others ends of the resistors being brought
out to a testpoint. You connect a 'scope there and read a skewmaster
tape. The idea is that if the read transitions all occur at the same time
(no skew) you get a pefect step on the 'scope, if some are later than
others you get a staircase. You adjust the heads for the smallest
width of the stairs.

-tony