On Wed, 4 Oct 2017, Tom Gardner via cctalk wrote:
Thanks for your  research which supports my point since all your cites postdate
the April 1989 date of ATA usage by the CAM committee.
Remember this all started when someone (Fred?) posted that ATA followed IDE.

Actually Chuck.
Followed by your statement that you thought that Chuck had it backwards.

I then asked for more detail.

My opinion is that they were used in parallel among different groups of people (with occasional overlap). Official and standards V marketing and industry.

It does not appear to be completely either an industry bastardization of a standard, nor a codification of established industry practice.

I encountered it before I had heard about it, so I can't claim presence during the creation of the names. And the devices themselves did not have EITHER name labelled on them. (ST157 did have an extra label warning not to low level format, without stating the reason)

ST506/412, RLL, ESDI required looking up part numbers just to find out what you had! OK, an 'R' suffix on a drive number hinted RLL.
Martin Bodo had great sales of just such a dead-tree database.

--
Grumpy Ol' Fred                 ci...@xenosoft.com