On Fri, 6 Oct 2017, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
I take it that your students didn't read Don Knuth's wonderful book on
sorting and searching--the one with the fold-out chart on various tape
sorts--including those for tape drives with "read backwards" capability.
Shame--I found that to be a very entertaining tome.

I love it.   My favorite volume.

These students weren't quite ready for Knuth. They were second and third semester. But, I did always list Knuth as "recommended" on the "syllabus", and gave multiple copies to the school library.

BTW, I have a signed copy of Don's first published work.
(Potrzebie System Of Weights And Measures" in Mad Magazine June 1957.)