On 28.12.2017 05:35, Randy Dawson via cctalk wrote:
Since I know there's tons of PDP/11 geniuses here, and other gurus with a NOVA
4, and a Tektronix 4052 guy (I have the 4051):

What have you done, with microprogramming this part?  In your architecture,
have you changed the microcode, create an instruction to enhance your machine?

I changed the microcode in my 2901-based  ETH Lilith such that it can use an
ATA-harddisk instead of the unobtainium SD-120 Mididisk.
It works in my Lilith emulator Emulith, sadly the real Lilith is still down
with other issues so it has not been tested with the real hardware.

What about the coding tools?  ADASM?  Looks long gone, how do you do microcode
today?

As is to be expected the Lilith came with its own modula-2 based coding tool. I
wipped up another one in C.
Note that this is a lilith-microcode assembler, as it covers more than just the
2901.
 I would expect this to be the case for other machines as well.

All tools & microcode and emulators are on my FTP site

Jos