On 05/23/2018 08:28 AM, JP Hindin via cctalk wrote:
Apologies to hijack this one (I can't tell you how impressed I am with both the CHM's efforts and Qualcomm's release, I find these things really exciting for our hobby) - but I've been having real troubles with TBird in the last few years and my obstinacy has been holding me back.

I don't think this was a thread  hijack attempt at all.

You're parroting things I said on Twitter about Eudora's source code release and what it might mean for Thunderbird or some of their users.

I run Thunderbird on a 2016 MacBoook Pro (Sierra 10.12.6, 2.6GHz i7, 16GB RAM, internal SSD) where I'm pulling via IMAP from Google (their professional company service thingy), but maintain a local 24GB cache of eMail.

I've got about 1/6th of that in IMAP spread across 1,118 folders.

It's slower than molasses in january. Moving eMail around between 'folders' often has it sit and spin the beachball for 2-3 seconds - dozens of times a day. And I just can't work out why - I mean, yes, it's a lot of ruddy eMail, but it's a monster of a laptop and it should be pulling/moving on the SSD when it's getting stuck before it's even tried to send the move message to google.

How are you interfacing with Gmail? IMAP or something else. — I think Thunderbird supports interfacing with Gmail in another protocol. I may be wrong.

I _detest_ the gmail interface, I'd really prefer to continue using a client like this - but TBird just isn't getting any better.

AGREED!!!

What am I missing here? Are there better options? Is Thunderbird just not designed for large mail sets for people who actually work for a living?

I don't know. I too wonder if there's another option. Hence why I'm hoping that Eudora's source code release & license will help this situation.

Responses should probably be sent to me directly. And my thanks in advance for your opinions, my curmudgeonly behaviour is really eating up my time and I'm hoping there's a reasonable fix beyond "Suck it up and use gmail".

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die