On 05/24/2018 02:30 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
You haven't been paying attention, Grant. I mentioned a bit earlier that I used POP3 with gmail.

I have.  You mistook my meaning.

I was meaning to imply that "gmail as a server" can mean multiple things. As in stating "gmail as a server" by itself is not enough to specify what type of server.

I was aware that you were using Gmail as a POP3 server.

I also suspect that you are using Gmail as an SMTP server, despite not saying such.

Yes, but again, in context, Thunderbird is a newcomer. (Where was it in 1996? (Other than as a wine for cheap drunks, I mean; I'm not aware of any email client called Night Train, but I'm willing to be surprised).

I'm fairly certain that Thunderbird's immediate predecessor, Netscape Mail / Communicator existed in '96. I know it existed in the late '90s. (It's my understanding that Thunderbird is a direct descendant of original Netscape source code.) Please forgive me for counting Netscape Mail / Communicator and Mozilla Thunderbird as one project and implying that said project was around in the '90s.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die