> On Jan 6, 2019, at 1:31 PM, dwight via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> Surprisingly, this is actually good for older languages like Forth that are
> fugal with RAM.

Why so (why surprising, I mean)? Understood an unrolled loop executes faster,
RISC instruction sets have lower information density than CISC instruction sets
and therefore bigger RAM footprint, and look-up tables are faster than long
division (or working an infinite series for a transcendental function…). But
I’ve been worried for a while that the lesson many software engineers are
learning is

(more RAM usage) == (faster execution)

and I don’t think that’s a valid lesson. Dwight, thanks for pointing out the
counter-example!