Ok, I got a chance to login and try installing DECnet so I could reproduce the error. This is the result of

trying to install without a license. VMS by itself does not complain.

If you have not already installed the DECnet-VAX license, then do so now.

After the license has been installed, you should invoke the procedure
SYS$MANAGER:STARTNET.COM to startup DECnet-VAX with these changes.

(If the license is already installed) Do you want DECnet started? [YES]:
%%%%%%%%%%%  OPCOM   6-MAR-2019 19:54:08.80  %%%%%%%%%%%
Message from user DECNET
DECnet starting

%RUN-S-PROC_ID, identification of created process is 00000108
%NCP-I-NMLRSP, listener response - Operation failure
Circuit = UNA-0
%SYSTEM-F-NOLICENSE, operation requires software license
%RUN-S-PROC_ID, identification of created process is 0000010A

I'll try and extract just the DECnet license and install it on its own and see what I get.