> On Apr 8, 2019, at 9:40 PM, Jon Elson via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
> wrote:
>
> On 04/08/2019 06:10 PM, Tom Gardner via cctalk wrote:
>> FWIW the tape drive is an IBM 2315 announced April 16, 1965
>> <https://www.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/dpd50/dpd50_chronology3.html>  for
>> use on low end S/360s.  Here is a brochure
>> <http://ed-thelen.org/comp-hist/IBM-ProdAnn/2415.pdf>  as well as manuals at
>> http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/2415/
>>

> So, is that a capstan and pinch roller drive?  I'd kind of guess so, if
> announced in 1965.

I don't think other companies followed that strange design approach even back
then, though.  Never mind the pinch roller part; I could never understand why
IBM would build vacuum columns with the oxide facing out, sliding against the
vacuum column side walls.

> (for future readers, 2315 is apparently a typo, 2415 would fit in with 24xx
> models being tape drives, 23xx was for disks.)

Yes, 2315 is the RK05 lookalike found in the 360 model 44.