On 3/10/2020 8:48 AM, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk wrote:
On 3/10/20 2:31 AM, Dave Wade via cctalk wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: cctalk <cctalk-boun...@classiccmp.org> On Behalf Of Rod Smallwood
via cctalk
Sent: 10 March 2020 04:14
To: Fred Cisin via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
Subject: Re: HPE OpenVMS Hobbyist license program is closing

On 10/03/2020 02:19, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:

On Tue, 10 Mar 2020, Doug Jackson via cctalk wrote:
So.
At the end of the day there are three paths.
1.  Accept that HP doesn't give two hoots about hobbyists and patch
the abandoned operating system to fix the problem.
2. Declare that we need to develop an open replacement.
Or
3.  Accept that HP actually owns the rights to our VAX 11/785
machines and arrange for them to be dropped off at their corporate
headquarters because they can't do anything without software.
Sigh...

4. Contemplate what would happen if dropped off from a considerable
altitude, . . .

It is discouraging that they have the power, and legal rights, to do
what they like, but don't value the hobbyist market enough to try to
help.

--
Like all large US corporations they are dollar driven

I noticed that. I wonder how they would feel if I were to take my VAX to
MakeFests with a notice on saying how much they want for a licence to actually
load software and demo an antique machine....

They would not care and it would have no effect on their bottom
line so why should they?

bill

It would be bad PR.  But it's still unlikely they would care as the people who
attend Makerfests aren't usually the ones that sign the contracts.

--
John H. Reinhardt