On 4/12/22 7:49 AM, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:
DEC documentation.

Thank you.

The concept of a repeater goes back to day 1 of Ethernet; you'll find them in the D/I/X Ethernet spec. And they were part of the first batch of Ethernet products from DEC.

Repeaters existing from day 1 of Ethernet sort of surprises me.

I wonder if there is some difference in the original 3 Mbps Ethernet at Xerox PARC vs the 10 Mbps Ethernet (II?) that was commercialized.

Yes, AUI based devices, two port.

ACK

But the next thing out the door was the DEMPR, "Digital Multi-Port Repeater", an 8 port repeater. I think that's 10Base2.

$ResearchList++

I first saw "structured wiring" -- the star wiring with a hierarchy of wiring closets and devices -- around 1986, in the new Littleton King Street DEC building. It had distribution cabinets at the end of each row of cubicles. These looked just like standard office supplies storage cabinets, with shelves; inside you'd find a bridge and a couple of DEMPR repeaters, connected to 10Base2 coax drops to each cubicle.

Interesting use case. -- Now I'm wondering if each station run was standard 10Base2 with it's T connector and terminator.

That's not where the term "switch" was introduced. And devices like that were called "bridge" by market leaders like DEC -- the two generations of FDDI to Ethernet bridges I mentioned were both called "bridge".

I first saw "switch" used as a way to differentiate a (dumb) hub from an intelligent hub type of functionality.

Also, the general operation of the device is the same whether it does MAC frame tweaking or not, 802.1d applies unchanged. Ethernet to non-Ethernet bridges have to do some tinkering with Ethernet protocol type frames (which is where SNAP comes in, all nicely standardized in the FDDI days). For 802.5 they also have to deal with the misnamed "functional" addresses, but that's not hard.

I now feel the need to call out what I think are two very distinct things that need to be differentiated:

1) Learning of which port a source MAC address is on for the purposes of not sending a frame out to a destination segment when the location of the destination is known.
2)  Spanning Tree / 802.1D learning the path to the root of the tree.

The former is a fairly easy algorithm that doesn't require anything other than passive listening for data collection. The latter requires introduction of a new type of active traffic, namely BPDUs.

There also was such a thing as a "source routing bridge", an 802.5 only bad idea invented by IBM and sold for a while until the whole idea faded away.

We are actually seeing "source routing" make a resurgence in IPv6 via Segment Routing.

I think "hub" is what DEC called the chassis that these boxes could plug in to.

I understand now.  Yes, that's annoying indeed.

Yes, quite annoying.

I could actually see the use for a card that could go into non-fixed configuration switches that provided a few 10/100 ports specifically for this purpose.

So yes, it's theoretically part of the spec. As you said, it doesn't seem to be in actual use.

ACK

Curious. Clearly such things are possible. But FDDI came out well before HSTR, and it was crushed by 100 Mb Ethernet. All the reasons for that to happen would apply much more so for HSTR.

Yep. Lab vs actual commercialized products are quite different. Then there's what the market purchases and uses.

Does anyone still remember the other 100 Mb Ethernet-like proposal, I think from HP, which added various types of complexity instead of simply being a faster Ethernet? I forgot what it was called, or what other things it added. Something about isochronous mode, perhaps? Or maybe I'm confused with FDDI 2 -- another concept that never got anywhere, being much more complicated even than regular FDDI.

I vaguely remember there being multiple 100 Mbps Ethernet specifications. I think one of them had "Any" in it's name.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die