On 04/08/2022 22:17, Wayne S via cctalk wrote:
> Since dropping DECNET is just a proposal and needs to be voted on, what’s the
> chance the vote will pass?

If DECnet support gets removed then it's not a big deal, in fact it may
actually be a good thing.

The last time I tried the DECnet support in the latest 4.x kernel about
a year ago it didn't work anyway. I developed a number of patches to fix
it which I never got round to submitting. I don't know if anyone else
fixed these problems in the mean time. I suspect not.

It probably wouldn't take much effort to rework this as an out-of-tree
module which could then continue to be maintained separately from the
kernel. It could also be combined with dnprogs into a single repository.
I did something similar with the long dead Linux SNA support:

https://github.com/9track/linux-sna/tree/next

This was originally a set of patches for 2.2.x kernels and I have
reworked it as an out-of-tree module for 4.x kernels. It's not currently
usable as there's still lots to do but you get the idea. It does build
and load and it was a good learning exercise.

Matt