On 8/4/2022 4:07 PM, Grant Taylor via cctalk wrote:
On 8/4/22 2:12 PM, Doc Shipley via cctalk wrote:
This becomes an actual showstopper when the most recent hardware platform that will run the most recent Linux kernel to support DECNet becomes impossible to maintain.

I'm not convinced that the inability to boot the newest kernel that supports DECnet will be in and of itself a show stopper.

I believe it will be possible to run said kernel as a user space process a la. User Mode Linux (arch=um) with a virtual NIC that is bridged to the external Ethernet NIC.

There's still the possibility of running the older kernel in a VM even when it won't run native on the hardware.

  All very true.  I was just whacking at the low hanging fruit...

  ;-)

        Doc