From: Tom Gardner via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2022 7:40 PM
To: 'General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts' <cctalk@classiccmp.org>;
ci...@xenosoft.com
Cc: Tom Gardner <tom94...@comcast.net>
Subject: [cctalk] Re: Wang bar napkin story [WAS:RE: Re: "Revival" of a
dedicated Micropolis webpage on internet]

<snip>

----

>In

<http://archive.computerhistory.org/resources/text/Oral_History/5.25_3.5_Flo
ppy_Drive/5.25_and_3.5_Floppy_Panel.oral_history.2005.102657925.pdf>
http://archive.computerhistory.org/resources/text/Oral_History/5.25_3.5_Flop
py_Drive/5.25_and_3.5_Floppy_Panel.oral_history.2005.102657925.pdf

>Jim Porter attributes it to Jimmy Adkisson.

If you read further on you will find that Adkisson also has disclaimed the
Porter fable.

FWIW, Porter apparently began promulgating the fable in 1998  at his speech
to 100th Anniversary Of Magnetic Recording, Santa Clara University, Santa
Clara, CA.

http://web.archive.org/web/20071014221838/http://magneticdiskheritagecenter.
org/100th/Progress/Porter/jimporter.htm
<http://web.archive.org/web/20071014221838/http:/magneticdiskheritagecenter.
org/100th/Progress/Porter/jimporter.htm> .

There is no earlier reference that I can find.

I talked to the entire Shugart Associates team (including both Massaro and
Adkisson) involved in the decision to do the 5¼ and its design thereafter -
the Wang story is BS

<snip>

>But, Massaro, who should know, refutes the story.  Although his version is
about a cardboard mockup of the DRIVE, done in the backseat of a car, NOT
the origin of the diskette size.

>Grumpy Ol' Fred                             <mailto:ci...@xenosoft.com>
ci...@xenosoft.com

Tom