On 2022-09-22 8:44 p.m., Tom Hunter via cctalk wrote:
I cannot understand the mindset of people who buy up components desperately
sought by others who want to restore machines just to nail them to their
man cave or living room wall.
These same types of people vacuum up core memory boards, keyboards, disk
platters, 9-track tapes, etc just for bragging rights and as a result
depriving those who restore and preserve computer systems from doing so.
For some time I have been looking for a PDP-8/e front panel PCB needed to
make a machine complete. Until now I had no luck. No doubt there are dozens
of these hanging off people's walls.
Like Peter I don't care if the PCB is functional, but unlike Peter I can
and will repair it.
Peter please consider the negative impact of your hobby on historically
valuable computer systems.
Tom

Well for the longest time old computers were free, or found in the dumpster. I don't see his hobby impacting ours, as buying vintage
computers is fair, you have the $$$ or you don't.
Today the  RARE APPLE XYZ sold for $1,000,000 clams. So why has nobody
ever kept the one of the first 1000 sold, in 197x as collectible?
My gripe is the places that have all sorts of local regulations, that will never let you use a OLD EXPENSIVE COMPUTER for stupid things like the AC makes too much noise, or this Item was sold under a sealed bid
this year, to Scrap-are-us and we could not  bother telling you about
it because you are not the Board, or the we got the money to upgrade Friday and you have to have all the items removed that room before Monday.