On 2022-09-22 11:30 p.m., Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
On 9/22/22 21:49, Teo Zenios via cctalk wrote:
I assume some of that stuff was purchased for TV show or movie props.

I recall all of the IBM 1620 front panels in "The Forbin Project", along
with CDC 3000 series (green glass) cabinets.  In fact, I recently
pointed out to James at starringthecomputer the inexplicable presence of
three CDC 607 tape drives visible from the opeating room in the pilot of
"Emergency".  Only visible for a few seconds, but there they were.

I suspect that the innards of those drives had been stripped out and
simply made to spin the tapes.

--Chuck
Tape drives tended to show powerful modern computers.
Blinking lights tended to be for computers of the future.
World maps with lights where nuclear missiles could strike
seem to be movie props only.
Ben.