On 10/7/22 17:10, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:

> Then of course some card devices feed the narrow edge (1 column) first rather
> than the top or bottom row.  CDC had a reader that worked column-wise and a
> punch that worked row-wise, so the interface logic for the punch needed a
> transpose operation while the reader doesn't -- given that both would
> transfer card data as a word per column.  But Electrologica used the same
> hardware without the transpose logic in the controller, so the software would
> see columns from the reader but would have to construct rows to send to the
> punch.

CDC 405 reader and 415 punch.  Both pretty noisy, but I found the 415
more aurally irritating--and easily overheated if you ran a big punch job.

Early IBM gear read only the first 72 columns of an 80 column card;
hence the restriction for early FORTRAN to 72 columns.  Made sense
reading row-binary into 2 36-bit words.

Generally, the 405 was very fast and trouble free--until a card was fed
that got stuck in the works, resulting in lots of "accordion pleated"
cards in the stacker.  It was a marvel of engineering, with its
machine-gun rattle of 1200 cards/minute.  You could load two boxes (4000
cards) in the hopper.

--Chuck