> On Oct 31, 2022, at 06:57, Paul Koning via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 31, 2022, at 12:13 AM, Tomasz Rola via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, Oct 30, 2022 at 12:34:29PM -0400, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:
>>>
>> [...]
>>>
>>> Even if it doesn't reopen, I'd hope that its collection would not
>>> simply be scrapped.  I imagine a lot of people here would be
>>> interested in parts of it.  I'm one of them...
>>
>> If I was a donator, I would now be writing an rather officially
>> looking letter to let them know, that if they have intention to misuse
>> my donation then I have intention to have it back.
>
> Unless you gave something to them with conditions, that's unlikely to work.
> Normally, when you give a thing to another person, that person is free to do
> with it what he wants.  For example, if someone doesn't like a birthday
> present, he can throw it away, or give it to someone else, and you have
> nothing to say about that.
>
> And on top of that, various courts that don't like paying attention to law
> and contract have in the past allowed museums to go against the explicit
> written restrictions of gifts made to them.  My conclusion from all that is:
> if you want any chance of controlling what happens with your stuff, don't
> donate it -- lend it instead on a long-term loan agreement.

I donated a few items to LCM. I was told that they didn’t do long-term loans
when I brought that up on one item.

The paperwork for the first item was minimal, basically just an acknowledgment
of receipt. The paperwork for the last item was more complicated and included
an agreement that allowed them to do lots of things with the item that I wasn’t
comfortable with but that at the time I trusted them not to do without good
reason.

alan