On 24/10/2022 21:07, Antonio Carlini via cctalk wrote:
the bitsbox one may be a teensy bit to large but the ebay one should fit nicely. Neither is too expensive even with postage so I'll buy a few, given that I do have a fair few PSUs knocking around.

Turns out both sets of X2 caps I bought were identical and they fit perfectly.

As I was putting the PSU back together I thought I could hear something loose rattling inside. So I decided to dismantle it completely.

I managed to get the bottom board out, with some fiddling, but it would be much easier if I could get the fans off. However, they seem to be held on with some fasteners that I've not seen before. On the inside they are some sort of trilobe fastener that seems to yield under any sort of pressure (so I stopped) and on the outside they have a small hole with three thin slots, but my tri-wing bits only seem to turn them in the "tighten" direction, almost as though the whole thing is supposed to be "fit and forget". I suppose if I had to get the fans out of the way I could destroy those fittings and replace with some suitable M bolts. I'm just wondering now whether I'm missing a trick for removing the fans?

As I write this I realise that a photo or two wouldn't go amiss, so I'll try to take a few close ups tomorrow in daylight.

Antonio

--
Antonio Carlini
anto...@acarlini.com