(wildly off topic but)

On Tue, Nov 1, 2022 at 4:49 PM Ethan Dicks via cctalk
<cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

> I don't think the 11/750 could have handled that many users on DZ-11s.

With DZ-11s no.  But it is impressive what could be done with the
"good" hardware.  In the mid 80s I was an occasional user on a 11/750
that at its peak had 80 (eighty!) terminals connected across a
university campus.  Mostly terminals that could be switched between
different host lines (sometimes with a mechanical switch box) so the
750 was never 100% utilized, but even with ~40 people logged in,
responsiveness was bearable.

The interfaces as I recall were DHU-11s and DMZ-32s.  The DMZ-32s were
weird beasts; the Unibus module connected to a distribution panel via
a 4-wire T1 line and could be kilometers away.  The distribution panel
(which needed its own power supply) had 24 lines.  I suspect the thing
was aggressively optimized for low CPU overhead.

Magnus