On 11/3/22 16:07, Grant Taylor via cctalk wrote:
Hi,

n00b alert

Does anyone have a 101 level boot strap guide for someone wanting to get into creating better-than-dd disk images?

Is there a reason to do a real IMAGE backup, rather than a file backup?  I have used Linux to backup a lot of old PC stuff, including backing up a Win95 system and making it available to a Win95 virtual machine under VirtualBox.  This enabled me to run a bunch of old CAD programs and recover/access old schematics and board layouts.

Linux can directly identify and read almost all of the old FATxx file systems.

Jon