On 11/10/22 12:22, Sellam Abraham via cctalk wrote:
> I've got this Exabyte 8900 drive currently listed for sale:
>
> https://www.ebay.com/itm/403940369941
>
> Unfortunately I could not find a tape to do at least rudimentary testing.
> If you're interested, I'll give you a much better price in a direct sale.
> Contact me privately and I can provide more information about the drive and
> try to test it.

The 8900 uses the Mammoth AME tapes, but can read earlier tapes.  I like
the 8700 (and 8505XL) for the regular oxide tapes.  I don't think I've
ever received so much as an inquiry regarding the Mammoth metal tapes.
That was near the end of the 8mm media (1999) when other formats, such
as DLT and DDS were gobbling up the market.  IIRC that the AME tapes
were stupid-pricey.

--Chuck