On Sat, Nov 12, 2022 at 5:18 PM Chuck Guzis via cctalk
<cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:
> MCUs make a lot of very complex stuff simple.  A tape controller that
> would have required a couple of large PCBs now can be put on a
> filing-card size pcb--and most of that is connectors.

You've hit a raw nerve there. I've recently being doing battle with an
old-ish tape controller board that has a microcontroller with internal
ROM and 3 ASICs amongst other things on it. I'd much prefer a cardcage
of boards containing simple components.

I do not understand this desire to miniaturise everything.

>  Almost anything
> electronic sold today has an MCU in it--even a lithium cell.

And that is why I hate modern electronics and buy very little of it.

> One thing that a small MCU has over a 555 is that it can be programmed
> once and you can be assured of its frequency stability.  No fooling with
> pots and caps to get the thing to work the way you'd like.

Now wait a second. I've not come across a simple microcontroller with
a crystal in the same package. If you're going to use an external
crystal, then I can do that too, with a couple of divider ICs.

If you use the internal clock option of the microcontroller, it can
drift. If I use R's and C's on a 555 I can choose ones with the
stability, temperature coefficient, etc that I need.

> I'm certain you'd be tickled to see your beloved HP 9800 series box
> re-imagined in TO5 germanium point-contact transistors and relays.

Isn't that called an HP9100.Much the same functionality as an HP9810,
but discrete transistors. Some of them are germanium (albeit junction
ones). And yes I do love it.

-tony