Hi Rob,

I'm only guessing here.  I think the sequence may have been that the
main switching transistor failed first as it would be under more stress
than a diode in the base circuit.  If the transistor shorted E-B-C then
the HT would become connected to the circuitry at it's base which would
be compelely unable to cope with voltages and currents involved.  This
probably resulted in the failure of the diode.  I think it may be worth
looking at the components further back the drive chain from the diode.
The inductor could be ok unless it is a very frail little thing but small
signal semiconductor components and/or resistors further back may not
have fared as well as it.

It might also be worthwhile checking for shorted rectifiers on the output
side in case this was the cause of the stress on the switching transistor.
However, the power supply might have an overcurrent trip to reduce the
possibility of this sort of damage.  If there is an overcurrent trip or
thermal trip, this may have been reset after the power supply was powered
off for a while and when it was powered on again, the already damaged
transistor could have been teed up to fail more spectacularly?  Like I
said, just guessing here.

Were there no fuses failed or cutouts cut out?  Does it look like there
should have been? I would think a shorted switching transistor should
have caused some safety device to operate.  Or is it the case of the
old adage that the faster acting transistor managed to sacrifice itself
in time to protect the quick-blow fuse from blowing?

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.