On 20/11/2022 17:40, Rob Jarratt via cctalk wrote:
The H7842 PSU in my Rainbow failed yesterday. At first the machine just
powered down and there was a slight burning smell, I wasn't next to the
machine when this happened, so I didn't see or hear anything to tell me
where the problem might be. Not being sure if there was a short in the
machine or a problem in the PSU, I disconnected the fans, FDD and HDD and,
probably foolishly, I applied power again to see if the machine would work.
At this point there was a bang and a flash in the PSU.

I blogged this here (it repeats most of that I have said above):
https://robs-old-computers.com/2022/11/20/dec-rainbow-h7842-power-supply-fai
lure/

I have Rainbow PSUs H7842A, H78420 (which I suspect I may have misread! ...) and H7842D available. I can look tomorrow; if you can supply an overview picture and maybe circle the location of the offending parts that might help me identify them more quickly (always assuming that they are marked at all, of course).

Antonio

--
Antonio Carlini
anto...@acarlini.com