Hello Rob!

> Given that before the transistor blew up there had clearly been another
> failure somewhere else, I tried to find the original failure. There were no
> obviously damaged parts, so I just probed around near the transistor for
> any
> parts that were open circuit or short circuit. I found a diode connected to
> the base of the transistor that appeared to be short circuit. So, I decided
> to lift one end to check it. As I de-soldered one of the leads, the diode
> broke in two. So clearly the diode was either damaged by the failure of the
> transistor, or it was the cause of the failure. This is the diode:
> https://rjarratt.files.wordpress.com/2022/11/img_20221120_165913.jpg.

DEC used a lot of A114x diodes in their PSUs. They looked exactly like that
one. Those are fast recovery diodes.
https://pdf2.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/7563180/2074/A114F.html

I would replace it with a UF4007 or something similar.
https://www.mouser.se/datasheet/2/849/uf4001-2578577.pdf

> I can't quite make out the markings on the diode to know what to replace it
> with. I think it says "D610". Would that be the right designation? If so,
> can anyone suggest a suitable replacement please?
>

> The diode seems to connect an inductor to the base of the switching
> transistor and the collector of the transistor is connected to a
> transformer. Should I be looking for other failed parts? Not sure if the
> diode failed first and then caused the transistor to fail? Or if something
> else has failed which caused these parts to fail?

Also check all other semiconductors. Also on the outputs. If there is a 1
ohm fusible resistor in the base drive circuit check that one as well. In
the VT100 PSUs it happens that it blows.

> I do know that there are no shorts in the Rainbow itself, because I have a
> spare PSU that still works fine in the same machine.
>

> I blogged this here (it repeats most of that I have said above):
>
> https://robs-old-computers.com/2022/11/20/dec-rainbow-h7842-power-supply-fai
> lure/
> <https://robs-old-computers.com/2022/11/20/dec-rainbow-h7842-power-supply-failure/>

/Mattis