> On Nov 30, 2022, at 7:43 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
> wrote:
>
> On 11/30/22 14:45, Eric Moore via cctalk wrote:
>> I have a kennedy 9100 with an unformatted pertec interface that I would
>> love to use for imaging tapes from my AS/400
>>
>> It seems like strapping a logic analyzer to the read connector, and an
>> arduino on the command connector, may be fairly easily done? Has anyone
>> done that?
>
> I have to confess that I've never understood the Arduino thing.  It
> seems to be limiting the functionality of an MCU in the name of convenience.

Arduinos are widely used, exist in a bunch of variations and sizes, are very
cheap, come with a decent development environment...

> An inexpensive STM32F4 or F7 MCU can have, depending on the package,
> over 100 5V tolerant GPIOs, lots of DMA channels, 15 timers, USB
> support, and even handle ethernet.
>
> It's just a matter of programming.  F4 MCU dev boards are cheap.

Don't know that one, but I guess I should look

> Maybe it's the 1000+ page reference manual that has people spooked?  Or
> perhaps there's a revulsion for ARM MCUs....

Many newer Arduinos are ARM; I've used both those and the earlier ones.

For some stuff I now like to go for Raspberry Pico, which is like a
more-powerful Arduino for less money.  My DDCMP controller uses one of those.