> On Nov 30, 2022, at 7:43 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
> wrote:
>
> On 11/30/22 14:45, Eric Moore via cctalk wrote:
>> I have a kennedy 9100 with an unformatted pertec interface that I would
>> love to use for imaging tapes from my AS/400
>>
>> It seems like strapping a logic analyzer to the read connector, and an
>> arduino on the command connector, may be fairly easily done? Has anyone
>> done that?
>
> I have to confess that I've never understood the Arduino thing.  It
> seems to be limiting the functionality of an MCU in the name of convenience.
>
> An inexpensive STM32F4 or F7 MCU can have, depending on the package,
> over 100 5V tolerant GPIOs, ...

5V tolerant does not mean 5V compatible.  I have right now some 5V devices I
want to control, and it's not exactly clear whether a 3.3V device will drive
outputs high enough to reliably make 5V devices see them as high.  Arduinos can
be had in actual 5V models (5V power, standard 5V logic levels in and out).
Not the fast ARM ones but for many purposes good enough.