On Thu, 19 Jan 2023, Chris via cctalk wrote:
Long live PROLOG dude! Something I've never delved into but am fascinated by.

Expert systems are just tricked out database systems. I have to imagine they are used. They just never lived up to the hype. AI in any form, I suppose, will make real what many had as a vision for computers in the 80s. To amplify or enhance human ability to accomplish a task. But humans are lazy and will eventually turn too much of their own autonomy over to computers.

When I went back to graduate school for my degrees in Information Studies, I took a course in "Expert Systems". Totally underwhelmed by it.

The majority of the examples in the textbook were just simple decision trees! Trivial to flowchart. And if you can follow a troubleshooting flowchart, you are already doing what the "expert system" does. One example was troubleshooting a motorcycle that would not start. OK. I've been there. The example went through reasonable tests (although not necessarily the sequence that I would use), Then at the end, when none of the tests produced an answer, it DECLARED that the problem was clogged vent of fuel tank! A reasonable item to test; but they didn't! The example concluded it based solely on not having found the problem on the tests that they did! A troubleshooting flowchart that "falls through" to a conclusion is wrong. "When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. ~ Arthur Conan Doyle, The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes. is a FLAWED way to troubleshoot. Incompetent people often cite that when they don't know what they are doing. People who troubleshoot by "process of elimination", will 1) always fail to come up with ALL possibilities to test; 2) in testing possibilities will fail to ACTUALLY eliminate them, and often merely determine that they are improbable, mistaking that for impossible.

"Expert systems" are an attempted implementation of what the programmer gleaned from interviewing the human "expert".
ChatGPT at least expands the original sources of information a bit.

If somebody is incapable of following a troubleshooting flowchart, then an "expert system" can talk them through that.

--
Grumpy Ol' Fred                 ci...@xenosoft.com