John,

Same here, I prefer to use the original hardware and software media, etc.
I also prefer to read documentation from paper I'm holding in my hands, but
then this is my preference for reading generally.

For me, modern emulators and storage devices are an acceptable exception
for software development.  I still like to write software for the Apple ][
for fun and street cred, and it just makes the process much quicker and
easier, and it especially makes it easy to transfer disk images onto the
internet to share projects with others.

With regards specifically to modern solid state storage devices, I don't
think I'm losing any of the vintage computing experience by using them
rather than clunky old hard disks that one runs the risk of having crash on
them at any moment due to their age.  Not that the modern storage devices
are impervious to crash or malfunction, but it's on the "much less likely"
side of the scale.  Plus, they're much faster, and they offer a convenience
that only adds to the experience (like being able to make backups of
important data quickly and easily, not to mention being able to keep the
back-ups off-site by uploading to The Cloud).

But when I want to run an old game or something, I pull out the disk from
my collection and play it on the real hardware.  In that regard, the
emulators cannot compare.

Sellam