I have had nothing but trouble with floppy disks. I have an IBM3174 which has
2.4Mb 5.25" floppy drives. It takes ages (10-15mins perhaps) to load.
If I load from a GOTEK its equally slow but it usually loads first time. >From
real floppy less often. 2.4Mb disks are like hens teeth. I still have the
original disks and drives but if I use them I risk damaging irreplaceable
delicate media.
The experience is less noisy but only a little less. Without the GOTEK I feel
it would be useless.

My PC Server seems to have similar issues. I have several drives for it, and I
need them for several little tasks, like re-building the RAID array which I
seen to need to do often.....
.... so its currently useless as I can get a GOTEK working.

My Atari ST also has a GOTEK.  Again it works with the GOTEK. Less good with
the real floppy. Even though its only a 720k its unreliable.... Again I have
the drives and disks still....

Lastly I have a Tandy Color Computer. I don't even have a floppy, so without
the CoCo SDC that lets me load floppy images from an SD Card. Without that its
back to cassettes or more likely AVI files loaded from a computer...

So whilst I would love to continue to use floppies, in my experience it kills
any chance of getting anything to work...
.. and I think many of the issues are that the media is getting soft. Perhaps
baking would help?

Dave