On 1/30/2023 11:14 AM, Chris via cctalk wrote:
  It had a dedicated cassette port? Don't most cassette ports resemble a serial
port, or is my wonky brain making that up? What protocols did most cassette
ports use (c64/128?, IBM 5150, coco ...)?

Lots of systems had dedicated cassette ports, but yes, CoCo has a dedicated cassette port, as does all the 8 bit CBM machines, I think the Model 1/3/4 also, and doesn't the Apple II have one as well.  I am sure I am forgetting a bunch.

I think it would have been hard to have the cassette use the serial port, because cassette needs audio tones, not RS232 levels.

Jim

--
Jim Brain
br...@jbrain.com