On 2023-01-30 6:39 p.m., ED SHARPE via cctalk wrote:
Hi
Sent from the all new AOL app for Android
On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 12:12 PM, Fred Cisin via cctalk<cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:>> The
5150 had a cassette port!>> . . .>> The 5160 no longer had the cassette port.
On Mon, 30 Jan 2023, Paul Berger via cctalk wrote:> The cassette port on the 5150 could
also be used as a Telecommunication> Device for the Deaf (TDD) many years ago I made up
a ISA bus card with the> same function as the cassette port for a gentleman that wanted
to move on> from a 5150 but still needed the cassette port for a TDD device.
Interesting!
Was that stand-alone and compatible with the ordinary TDD/TTY units?(and
coupled to a modem)Or was that solely for communicating with other 5150s?
Or was that to use the 5150 as a KSR terminal for a TDD/TTY handling thePOT
communication?

--Grumpy Ol' Fred ci...@xenosoft.com

Was this to actually communicate with the true Deftones for tdd work if so I'd
be real interested in it we have a very large collection of items that are
assistive for the deaf and hard of hearing at smecc Museum and this would
qualify for that so yeah tell me some more thanks Ed

Unfortunately I don't recall the details, the board I made likely had a 8253 timer chip and probably an 8255 since that was used for the motor control and also for the read data input on it and I believe the software did not use BIOS at all but rather talked directly to the hardware, so it was simple to modify it to use different I/O addresses.  My involvement was just to create a replacement for the cassette  interface that was built into a 5150, I was not involved with the software at all.

Paul.