Just some references:

https://techheap.packetizer.com/computers/coco/unravelled_series/color-basic-unravelled.pdf
This states DLOAD is input only
On page 88, I don't see DLOAD listed - it goes from CLOADM straight to EXEC
(so it is not clear to me on how DLOAD is implemented)

https://colorcomputerarchive.com/repo/Documents/Books/Unravelled%20Series/extended-basic-unravelled.pdf
"DLOAD is the most obscure command in the Color
Computer and absorbs a substantial amount of space in the ROM. DLOAD is so
poorly
understood because Tandy has never made the necessary companion routine,
DSEND.
DLOAD will DOWNLOAD a file over the RS 232 line from another system,
however there
is no companion routine, which will transmit a file over the RS 232 line to
another
Color Computer. Once a DSEND routine is built and made available to the
masses,
DLOAD will be much better understood."
In the Extended BASIC ROM, it does have a section for DLOAD (and I think a
DLOADM?).   Maybe inspecting that code might give some idea on its origin.
 Maybe DLOAD was a way to stream in a newer test ROM or other system
test/support software from a "larger" machine {e.g. a mainframe with a
6809E emulator?}).

http://vtda.org/docs/computing/RadioShack-Tandy/8759038-780-SL_TRS-80ModelIIIBasicQuckRef.pdf
I don't see DLOAD listed for the TRS-80 Model 3  (there is an INP keyword
that talks about PORT 0-255, and this manual talks about supporting two
cassette ports)

https://ia801906.us.archive.org/30/items/Introduction_to_TRS-80_Level_II_BASIC_1980_Michael_Zabinski/Introduction_to_TRS-80_Level_II_BASIC_1980_Michael_Zabinski.pdf
No DLOAD in the TRS-80 Level 2 BASIC  (I spot checked to see if it might be
under a different name, nothing stood out)

https://archive.org/details/IBMBASICAV1.10Manual/page/n13/mode/2up
No DLOAD in the IBM 5150 BASIC 1.10   (some suspects: LOG, LOF, GET/PUT,
COMn statement, IN/OUT - maybe one this means DLOADM?).
Appendix F-2 describes using BASIC to interface with the Async Serial IO
Adapter, page F-8 describes using the INP keyword)

Not sure if any that helps on the lineage of DLOAD.   I looked at the
Altair BASIC manual, didn't see any DLOAD there.     And also the IBM
5110,  (NOT a Microsoft BASIC)
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/5110/SA21-9308-0_IBM_5110_BASIC_Reference_Manual_Jan1978.pdf

Not sure if any of that helps, in terms of finding the DLOAD protocol.  In
the Color BASIC unravelled (first link), some of the code talked about
using SPACE?   As-in, something different than 8-N-1  (the SerialIO could
also be used for a printer, so maybe 7-SPACE-1?).

-SL