On Jan 31, 2023, at 10:22 AM, Steve Lewis via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> I know the first generation CD/DVD disc are known to "go bad" - the
> material itself somehow degrades and becomes unreadable by modern drives.
> I'm not sure if that's still the case with newer or more modern CD/DVD disc
> (not just that they're newer, but are they a more durable material or
> casing?)

Choosing the right blanks made a world of difference.  The as I said recently,
all the Verbatim DataLifePlus I’ve tried to recovered have been fine.  The main
data I lost was stored on a DVD-R blank from another manufacturer.

I’m now looking at switching to Verbatim M-Disc’s.

As part of my recent efforts I’ve regained access to data that while live on
spinning disk, had become corrupted sometime between 1997 and 1999.

Zane