On Wed, Mar 8, 2023 at 3:59 PM Bill Gunshannon via cctalk
<cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:
> I had some good sized iron in my home in the early 80's.

We (my family - I put up 1/3, my mother covered the other 2/3) got a
PET in 1979.  I came home from my first Dayton Hamvention in 1982 with
a PDP-8.

If a high school kid can scrounge a PDP-8 by the early 80s, I'm sure
an adult with a real job could have done it a lot earlier.

-ethan

P.S. - 90% of what ran on that PET was games - commercial ones bought
from Creative Computing and Instant Software and others, as well as
lots of games typed in from books and magazines (Creative Computing,
BYTE, Micro, etc).  We didn't have a printer and the only storage was
cassette tape, so word processing and other "serious" applications
were off the table.  I did have some utility firmware - an improved
machine language monitor (NMON), which I used to write better games
(hand port of Scott Adams' engine from BASIC to 6502 machine code),
BASIC Toolkit, and BASIC Aid, used for writing better programs in
BASIC.  Yes, Bill, arcade games were better, but they cost $0.25 a
play and I could play what games we had for hours on the PET.  We
didn't have an Atari or other home video game console.   I also typed
in and played several text adventures, something that was not
available on a console or in an arcade.  I'm not saying that nobody
did "engineering work" on a home computer, but by 1980, we sure were
playing a lot of games on home computers.