On 3/9/2023 10:34 PM, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:

I doubt that there is any market segment with deep pockets, with a "need" other than nostalgia.

I've actually considered trying to research finding equipment to manufacture such media, and/or recreating it.  Everyone needs another hobby, right?

That said, in my day job, I've seen IT folks at times be their worst enemy in focusing so much energy in keeping outdated items running, only to discover a lack of support to upgrade/replace said items because they've removed the friction of staying with the outdated device/system.

Part of me sees the same issue here.  It'd be expensive but not insurmountable to recreate lots of media options, and even more realistic if some of the old manufacturing equipment is still mothballed and not scrapped.  But, putting new floppy disk media into the market, even at inflated prices, would remove the friction IT resources have depended on to force governments and businesses to at least migrate to solid state replacements, if not fully upgraded systems.

Obviously, the cost (and the fact that finding existing equipment to un-mothball is the much more realistic an option to pursue rather than trying to fabricate new equipment) is a significant roadblock, but I also hesitate for the above reason.  It's almost like a few more years need to pass, to force the remaining holdouts to realize floppydisk.com and eBay and the nature of rust glued onto mylar will not exist much longer at quality levels that companies can risk.

Then, I'm hoping someone with deeper pockets than I starts production :-)

Jim

--
Jim Brain
br...@jbrain.com