On 14 Mar 2023, at 23:23, Chuck Guzis via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On 3/14/23 14:48, Alexander Huemer via cctalk wrote:
>
>> Let's face it, there is a sizable number of people who will never ever
>> buy a logic analyzer for north of $1000. Either because they can't
>> afford it or are too greedy. That is not lost revenue for the company.
>> Either those people buy a clone or they don't have a Saleae product, end
>> of story.
>
> The other alternative is to buy a used logic analyzer.  Many times,
> these are available for pennies on the dollar.  My HP 1663A cost me a
> grand total of $47 shipped.  It was complete with pods, extra "grabbers"
> etc. Basically a device surplussed by a electronic test equipment rental
> outfit.
You don't get that option in Europe though. Haven't seen any of the better
stuff here, like, ever. I've stopped looking, because nothing turned up for
years and years. At one point, I'd have considered selling multiple organs for
one of the later HP with all of the nice options - but I've learned to make do
what I have instead, mostly because nobody was selling. Logic analyzers are
brilliant if you know what is going wrong, and need to find proof that your
theory is correct. But not necessarily for finding out the start of the problem
- well, not for me at least, I can't speak for those who've had access to one
of those mythical HP things.

About Saleae - nice physical design, but I'm not sure something with max 16
channels merits the term 'logic analyzer'. And their stuff is way overpriced
for what it is. Not that that makes it right to steal their design, their work,
their IP from them, obvs. But there are alternatives that are way cheaper and
more capable, and it seems like it is a business strategy kind of decision for
Saleae that they don't choose to compete on the technology front. If anything,
I'm amazed that took them as far as it apparently has.

--
Sytse