> On Mar 14, 2023, at 10:57 PM, Jonathan Chapman via cctalk
> <cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
>> If you posted your design as Open Source, someone else producing it isn't a
>> knockoff, it's the system working as intended.
>
> What is it when the design is open source, but they're not complying with the
> terms of the license? That's what really bugs me, the "cost" of producing
> your own from one of our designs is attribution and releasing your design
> under the same or a compatible license, but apparently that's too much to ask.
>
> Thanks,
> Jonathan

You're talking about GPL or equivalent there -- for which the FSF has at times
been the enforcer.  BSD style licenses require next to nothing of people
copying (in particular, they don't require releasing the derived work).

Personally I'm partial to BSD style licenses, though some of my open source
work was originally licensed under GPL.  (I may change that at some point if I
want to bother.)  That means I'm accepting the possibility that someone could
copy what I did and sell it as a closed product.  Fine, so be it (that doesn't
close what I did, of course).