> On Mar 17, 2023, at 11:22 AM, Chuck Guzis <ccl...@sydex.com> wrote:
>
> Anent the Smotherman paper.  Woefully incomplete and inaccurate, but
> perhaps a starting point.
>
> https://people.computing.clemson.edu/~mark/interrupts.html

On interrupt coalescing (mentioned under "performance techniques"), an early --
perhaps first -- implementation is in the Electrologica X8.  It uses queues
guarded by semaphores to communicate with the I/O coprocessor CHARON, and the
interrupts delivered in response are also controlled by a semaphore.  The
initial count of that semaphore specifies how many I/O operations to complete
before an interrupt is done.  Its semaphores are constructed around a hardware
primitive that adds a register to memory and delivers the result both to that
memory location and to the register, interlocked via a read/modify/write core
memory cycle.