On 2023/04/18 8:48 p.m., Tony Duell via cctalk wrote:
On Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 2:37 AM Tom Hunter via cctalk
<cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:
... or four $20 power transistors to protect a 10 cent fuse like on the DEC
VR-14 display.
In general the transistor(s) will fail short-circuit, thus taking out
the fuse too.

Some switch-mode power supplies use special fast-acting fuses which
can actually be more expensive than the chopper transistor.

-tony

In the end replacing the capacitors got the supply running. And I checked the resistor that looked overheat, and it was 34R which is within 15% of the value shown on another 1001 supply that is close to the one (same part numbers and values for a number of the parts) in my ADM31.

The supply puts out +5VDC, +17VDC (unreg), -17VDC (unreg), and 70VDC (unreg).

The board appears to work - I have 5VDC on the MB, and I get a BEEP, and there is some sort of data happening on the DB and I am getting data on the Vertical, Horizontal, and Video signals to the monitor. Monitor isn't lighting up - no HV (I've recapped it too), so I have to put on my monitor hat next.

Stay tuned if interested...

Oh, I am missing two key caps for the ADM31, anyone have spares? Not sure what is printed on them at this point, but any caps would be better than missing ones to start!

Thanks,

John :-#)#

--
                 John's Jukes Ltd.
7 - 3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 5E3