Ken,

This discussion does my geezer's heart good.

I used to maintain Honeywell mainframes in the late 1970s, some of which had
core memories.  Tapping them on the floor wasn't an option since they were such
huge beasties but they did have space for spare bits.  I've swapped to the
spare bits or replaced sense amps to fix many a core problem.  Something I'll
never forget is the way the power supplies "sang" when running memory
diagnostics on the core units.  I could always tell the diagnostic was done
when the singing stopped.

- Rod