> I thought about this, but the KIM is a pretty simple system. The only memory
> mapped device in that range (really, on the entire unit) are the RIOTs, and
> their RAM at $1780 is fine and does not echo.
>
> The KIM only does address decoding for 8K and echoes the rest, so the same
> fault is mapped at $2280, $4280, etc. I would think this would still suggest
> data is the problem.
>
> I suppose I could randomly replace the RAM and see what changes but again it
> seems weird to have a fault so neatly aligned and only in a specific range.

With a simple step through program,

*=$0000
r=$0280

        inc w
        lda w
        sta $f9
        sta r
        sta r+1
        lda r
        sta $fb
        lda r+1
        sta $fa

        jsr $1f1f
        jsr $1f6a
        cmp #$12
        bne *-8

        jsr $1f1f
        jsr $1f6a
        cmp #$15
        bne *-5

        jmp $0000

w       .byt 0

it's actually an artifact of the monitor that the upper 6 were clear. Actually,
the stuck bit is entirely bit 2 (i.e., it goes

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f
0 1 2 3 0 1 2 3 8 9 a b 8 9 a b

and the high nybble is OK). Now that sounds more like a bad RAM chip, but why
would it be *just* those addresses? Does that sound like a plausible failure
mode?

  Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckai...@floodgap.com
-- God made the integers; all else is the work of Man. -- Kronecker -----------